Expansion of Natural Gas Distribution Service
EAP Gas Utility Members
- Own and operate natural gas distribution pipeline systems – pipes, meters and other infrastructure used to deliver natural gas from the “city gate” to customers.
- Do not own production wells or transmission lines upstream of the “city gate”.
- Interact with customers – providing bills, responding to service issues, educating customers on safety & energy efficiency, and administering “universal service” programs to assist low-income customers.
- Serve as the retail market’s “Supplier of Last Resort” for customers who do not purchase their natural gas from a natural gas supplier.
Understanding How Gas is Delivered
- Extracted from wells and moved from collection point into gathering system for sale into the wholesale market
- Includes processing facility where natural gas is purified and useful by-products such as propane and butane are removed
- Moved into transmission system using compressors
- counteracts friction that is created when gas is moved through steel pipe
- Transported by midstream companies to utility’s delivery point (“city gate”) or to upstream storage
- Pressure reduced
- Odorant added
- Moved into utility’s distribution pipeline and delivered through individual service lines to customer
- pressure further reduced for delivery
Please direct any questions or requests for more information to
by email or phone at (717) 901-0607.